Location: Indonesia, country-wide
Event: On October 20, 2019, the Indonesian People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR) will inaugurate President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Vice President-elect Ma’ruf Amin at the national legislative complex in Senayan. Indonesian Police have announced that additional security personnel will secure inauguration-related sites and other locations in greater Jakarta. Areas near the inauguration ceremony may be affected by road closures and other traffic disruptions. Demonstrations are possible at inauguration-related and other public sites in Jakarta, and potentially other cities, which may result in additional traffic disruption.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations or political rallies are occurring and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gathering.
- Stay current with media coverage of local events, be aware of your surroundings, and practice personal security awareness at all times.
- Be advised that foreigners who join protests in Indonesia may be arrested and/or deported.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, +6231-297-5300; after-hours:+6281-133-4183, SurabayaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, +62-21-5083-1155; after-hours:+62-21-5083-1000 then press 0, JakartaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. State Department–Consular Affairs -888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Indonesia Country Specific Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates. Follow U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.