Location: Lombok, Indonesia
Event: Lombok experienced a magnitude 6.9 earthquake at 19:46 local (Bali) time on August 5, 2018, followed by a magnitude 5.6 aftershock at 20:49 local time. A tsunami alert was issued shortly after the initial earthquake. A 20 cm tsunami was reported, but the tsunami alert was lifted at 21:40. There continue to be aftershocks, including a 5.4 magnitude at 08:28 local time on August 6, 2018.
Actions to Take:
- Review your travel plans to the affected areas, and check with airline, hotel, and tour operators about the availability of their services. Some infrastructure and services were impacted by the earthquake and may be temporarily unavailable.
- Contact your airline for up-to-date information on your flight. The status of the Lombok and Bali airports can be found at https://www.bali-airport.com/id and at https://lombok-airport.co.id.
- For those U.S. citizens on one of the Gili Islands (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air) who wish to leave, please make your way to the port on the island. The Government of Indonesia is assisting tourists who desire to depart with transportation to the main island of Lombok.
- Information on the earthquake’s latest status can be found on the following websites: https://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id/, http://www.vsi.esdm.go.id/, and https://www.bnpb.go.id/.
- We encourage U.S. citizens in Lombok, Bali, and the Gili Islands to notify friends and family of their well-being and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for regular information.
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, Indonesia
+62 31-297-5300; after-hours: +62 81-133-4183
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia
+62-213435-9055/9054; after-hours: +62-213435-9000 then press 0
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Indonesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta at Twitter and Facebook.