This emergency message is being issued to advise all U.S. citizens to avoid the area around Sari Pan Pacific Hotel and Sarinah Plaza on Jalan Sudirman Thamrin, in downtown Jakarta. Preliminary reports indicate an explosion and gunfire has occurred in the general vicinity and situation continues to unfold.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya, located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183.
- The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia, located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta,at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).