Indonesian media reports and government officials indicate that a number of organizations will hold a large-scale “mass prayer gathering” in central Jakarta at the National Monument (MONAS) on Friday, December 2, 2016. There is a possibility of smaller related gatherings in other cities throughout Indonesia. The Indonesian government has announced that the Indonesian National Police and military (TNI) will provide security for this event. The mass prayer event is expected to begin at 8:00a.m. and will last at least until Friday prayers end at approximately 1:00 p.m. Labor demonstrators are expected to participate in the prayers and then march to the Presidential Palace, so large crowds are likely to remain near MONAS until later in the afternoon. In Jakarta, Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan and Timur (South and East Medan Merdeka Streets) will be closed and other road closures may take place throughout the day. Authorities expect traffic congestion and significant delays in these and nearby areas in central Jakarta. As a result, the Consular Section in Jakarta will be closed to the public on Friday, December 2, 2016. Emergency services for U.S. citizens will be available.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence; and there exists the possibility that some extremist groups could take advantage of the December 2 events to incite or carry out violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta (https://id.usembassy.gov/), located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta, at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya (https://id.usembassy.gov/) is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.