Subject: Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Jakarta – Tsunami on the West Coast of Banten and Lampung
Location: Banten, West Java and Lampung, Sumatra, Indonesia
Event: A tsunami hit coastal areas around the Sunda Strait on 22 December 2018, affecting the Pandeglang, South Lampung, and Serang districts (including the resort area of Anyer). The number of deaths, casualties and destruction of property is still rising.
The Government of Indonesia urges tourists to temporarily stay away from Sunda Strait and monitor official Indonesian government websites and social media for the most updated, accurate information.
Actions to Take:
- Carefully consider travel plans and avoid nonessential travel to tsunami affected areas.
- Review the Travel Advisory for Indonesia
- Review information about what to do in the event of a tsunami.
- Notify friends and family of your well-being.
- Review information from the Government of Indonesia’s agency for disaster managementhere (Indonesian language only) and here.
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta at Twitter and Facebook.
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, +6231-297-5300; after-hours:+6281-133-4183,SurabayaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, +62-21-5083-1155; after-hours:+62-21-5083-1000 then press 0,JakartaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. State Department–Consular Affairs –888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Indonesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.