Location: Lombok and Gili Islands, Indonesia
Event: Following the magnitude 6.9 earthquake on August 5, 2018, the areas around Lombok and the Gili Islands (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air) continue to experience aftershocks and tremors.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider your travel plans to the Gili Islands and review your travel plans to Lombok. At this time, there is a risk that aftershocks could cause further damage to buildings and pose hazards to safety; in the event of serious injury, access to immediate medical assistance on the Gili Islands is extremely limited. Local infrastructure and essential services, including power and transportation, have been disrupted and are not operating normally.
- Contact your airline for up-to-date information on your flight. The status of the Lombok and Bali airports can be found at https://www.bali-airport.com/id and https://lombok-airport.co.id.
- Information on the earthquake’s latest status can be found on the following websites: http://www.vsi.esdm.go.id/, and https://www.bnpb.go.id/.
- We encourage U.S. citizens in Lombok, Bali, and the Gili Islands to notify friends and family of their well-being.
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta at Twitter and Facebook.
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, +62 31-297-5300; after-hours: +62 81-133-4183, SurabayaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, +62-213435-9055/9054; after-hours: +62-213435-9000 then press 0, JakartaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Indonesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.