Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Event: There are media reports indicating the potential for terrorist attacks in Surabaya and other areas of Indonesia, including the potential targeting of Western interests at Airlangga University on August 23, 2018. Out of an abundance of caution the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is closing its American Corner at Airlangga University on August 23.
Actions to Take:
- Review and reconsider your plans to visit Airlangga University on August 23, 2018.
- Exercise a high degree of caution when visiting places where Westerners may congregate, including but not limited to hotels, schools, universities, and shopping centers.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, +6231-297-5300; after-hours: +6281-133-4183, SurabayaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/surabaya/
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, +62-213435-9055/9054; after-hours: +62-213435-9000 then press 0, JakartaACS@state.gov, https://id.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Indonesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.