Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia (December 18, 2018)
Location: Indonesia, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season, the Indonesian National Police will visibly increase their presence at tourist sites, churches, malls, and other public gathering places. The Embassy advises heightened personal security awareness, particularly in public areas frequented by foreigners, during this period.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance especially in crowded streets, shopping areas, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Monitor local media for updates.
For further information:
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia
+62-21-5083-0100 ext. 0
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, Indonesia
- U.S. Consular Agency in Bali, Indonesia
+62-361-233-605 or 081-133-4183 after hours
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitterand Facebook and the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Indonesia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates