Location: Papua Highlands and Central Papua
Event: On February 7th, 2023, a New Zealand pilot was taken hostage by an armed group in Paro, Papua Highlands. The threat of further violence and civil unrest cannot be ruled out. The Government of Indonesia recently divided the provinces of Papua and West Papua into six new provinces. Central Papua and the Papua Highlands Province are the only provinces to which the U.S. Government restricts the travel of its personnel. These areas have the potential for increased violence, civil disturbance, and political violence due to ethnic or other tensions.
Actions to Take: Reconsider travel to the provinces of Central Papua and Papua Highlands. If you must travel to these areas:
- Exercise additional vigilance especially in crowded streets, shopping areas, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, Indonesia
- +62-31-297-5300 or +62-21-5083-1000 after hours
- U.S. Consular Agency in Bali, Indonesia
- +62-361-233-605 or +62-21-5083-1000 after hours
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta at Twitter and Facebook.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Indonesia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Click here to unsubscribe to these messages.