Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia (December 15, 2020)
Location: Indonesia, countrywide
Event: During the December holiday season each year, Indonesian National Police will visibly increase their presence at popular public gathering places such as tourist sites, churches, malls, etc. The Embassy advises heightened personal security awareness and particularly in public areas frequented by foreigners during this period.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance especially in crowded streets, shopping areas, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Do not physically resist a robbery attempt, unless you are being attacked and you feel your life is in danger.
- Monitor local media for updates.
For further information:
- U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia
- U.S. Consulate General Surabaya, Indonesia
- +62-31-297-5300 or +62-21-5083-1000 after hours
- U.S. Consular Agency in Bali, Indonesia
- +62-361-233-605 or +62-21-5083-1000 after hours
- For regular updates, follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta at Twitter and Facebook.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Indonesia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Click here to unsubscribe to these messages.