On September 24, thousands of demonstrators gathered in Jakarta to protest recent legislation and some Indonesian government policies. The demonstrations were largely peaceful but caused some damage to property and significant disruptions to rush-hour traffic. Indonesian police used non-lethal force in confrontations with protesters.
Demonstrations also took place yesterday in Medan and Palembang, with reports of injuries to participants there. Traffic was also disrupted in these locations.
There are reports of related demonstrations planned in other Indonesian cities in the coming days. The U.S. Embassy continues to closely monitor the situation and strongly advises U.S. citizens to avoid protest areas, which have recently included government buildings.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are occurring.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings; keep a low profile.
- Stay current with media coverage of local events.
- Carry a cell phone with you.