Following the terrorist attack in Jakarta on January 14, 2016, the U.S. Embassy would like to remind U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Indonesia to exercise a high degree of caution because of the ongoing threat of extremist violence throughout Indonesia. We advise U.S. citizens to remain aware of their surroundings at popular tourist and holiday destinations, such as Bali and Lombok, and when visiting shopping malls, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, hotels, and places of worship.
All U.S. citizen visitors or residents in Indonesia should review their personal security plans, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security. U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Indonesian law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Indonesia.
We also encourage U.S. citizens to review the Worldwide Travel Alert which was last updated on November 23, 2015.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya, located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia, located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta,at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- The U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consulate General will be closed for the following holidays:
- February 8 Chinese New Year
- February 15 Washington’s birthday
- March 9 Balinese Hindu’s New Year/Silent day
- March 25 Good Friday
- May 5 Ascension of Christ
- May 6 Ascension of Mohammad
- May 30 Memorial Day
- July 4 U.S. Independence Day
- July 6 & 7 Idul Fitri
- August 17 Indonesian Independence Day
- September 5 Labor day
- September 12 Idul Adha
- October 10 Columbus Day
- November 11 Veterans Day
- November 24 Thanksgiving Day
- December 12 Mohammad’s Birthday
- December 26 Substitution day for Christmas Day, Sunday, Dec. 25