The U.S. Embassy has received information regarding upcoming planned local labor demonstrations today, November 25, 2015, which are part of a series of protests nationwide this week.
In downtown Jakarta, there are several small to mid-sized groups, total number estimated from 900-1100 people, holding demonstrations around the National Monument (Monas) and State Palace area. There is no heavy impact on traffic at this time.
In Medan, there are a planned series of demonstrations in the vicinity of key government buildings downtown, including the Governor’s Office and Provincial Parliament (DPRD).
There have been protests around the country by labor groups related to Indonesian Labor Day and wage concerns throughout the week, including in Medan and Surabaya.
The U.S. Embassy would like to remind all U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta is located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta 10110, and can be reached by calling +62-21 3435-9055/9054, or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For after-hours emergencies, please call +62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, Indonesia 60217. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling (62) 31-297-5300 and by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency telephone number is (62) 81-133-4183.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).