On the morning of January 14, there were a number of explosions and gunfire at the intersection near the Sarinah Plaza on Jalan Thamrin, Central Jakarta. A number of deaths and injuries have been reported, including four suspected perpetrators of the attack. Indonesian authorities are pursuing the remaining suspects. Further incidents are possible. As the security situation remains fluid, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid Sari Pan Pacific Hotel and Sarinah Plaza on Jalan Thamrin and defer all non-essential travel in the city. Areas to be particularly avoided are malls, restaurants, cinemas and large gatherings as these could be potential targets. No U.S. citizens are among the victims. The Indonesian government has described the incident as a terrorist attack.
The U.S. Embassy strongly urges U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor local and international media and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
As a precaution, the U.S. Embassy will be closed on Friday, January 15, for regular visa appointments and normal American citizen services. The U.S. Embassy remains open for emergency services to American citizens.
Airports remain open; however, travelers may expect delays because of heightened security measures. We encourage travelers to contact transport companies for the latest information and to arrive at airports early.
Public transportation is operational; however, some streets around the affected area may be closed. Please monitor local media for information on possible road closures.
The U.S. Embassy suggests U.S. citizens directly contact concerned family members in the United States to advise them of your whereabouts and safety.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and IndonesiaCountry Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya, located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183.
- The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia, located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta,at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 07:30 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).