On Thursday, September 14, 2017, the U.S. Embassy has received reports of an increase in small crimes in close proximity to the Embassy in Jakarta. The incidents occurred during working and/or daylight hours. While the victims were not physically injured, they were robbed of personal items.
The Embassy would like to remind U.S. citizens to be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Never display cash or jewelry, and do not carry large amounts of cash or valuables.
- Walk with your purse or wallet away from the street side, and stay as far as possible away from the street and motorcycle traffic.
- When using elevators be cognizant of those on the elevator with you; if you feel unsafe, exit immediately and contact building security.
- Avoid parking your car or bike in dimly lit areas. Avoid walking to your car alone and have your keys readily available.
- If attacked, surrender your purse, wallet, or valuables. Remember, no item is more valuable than your well-being!
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 3-5, Jakarta. The telephone number is +62-21-3435-9055/9054. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21-3435-9000 (press 0 for the operator). The American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy email is JakartaACS@state.gov.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya located at Jalan Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya. The telephone number is +62-31-297-5300. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-81-133-4183. The American Citizens Services Unit of the Consulate General email is SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.