Over the past few weeks, and as recently as December 21, Indonesian security officials have disrupted multiple terror cells and arrested more than a dozen individuals suspected of planning attacks in Indonesia. While none of the targets mentioned include United States government or private facilities, the U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling in Indonesia during the Christmas and New Year holidays because of continued threats from extremists. We advise U.S. citizens to remain aware of their surroundings when gathering at shopping malls, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, and places of worship in Indonesia, as terrorists have previously planned and carried out attacks at such venues, and could do so again.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta,located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta, at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).