LARGE-SCALE GATHERING AT MONAS PARK IN JAKARTA
Saturday, December 2, 2017, 3:00 AM to 12:30 PM
The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta informs U.S. citizens that a large-scale gathering will take place in and around Monas Park in downtown Jakarta, on Saturday, December 2, 2017, in commemoration of the Prophet Muhammad’s birth and the anniversary of the December 2 mass gathering last year. There is a possibility of smaller related gatherings in other cities throughout Indonesia.
The Indonesian government announced that up to 30,000 Indonesian National Police will provide security for this event. The large-scale gathering is expected to begin at 3:00 am and will last at least until 12:30 pm. Up to 30,000 people are expected to participate and large crowds are likely to remain near the Monas area after the event. The main streets around Monas Park will be closed and other road closures may take place throughout the day. Authorities expect traffic congestion and significant delays in these and nearby areas. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta (https://id.usembassy.gov/) is located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta, and can be contacted at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya (https://id.usembassy.gov/) is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya and can be contacted at +62 31-297-5300, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).