The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Indonesia informs U.S. citizens that political and religious organizers are planning demonstrations to protest the U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel at several U.S. government diplomatic facilities in Indonesia. We urge U.S. citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
We are aware of the following possible demonstration times and locations:
Friday, December 15, 2017
- 10:00 a.m. – Approximately 500 participants are expected to demonstrate at the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta.
- 1:00 p.m. – Approximately 2,000 participants are expected to demonstrate at the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya.
- 1:00 p.m. – Approximately 1,300 participants are expected to demonstrate at the U.S. Consulate in Medan.
Sunday, December 17, 2017
- 6:00 a.m. – A very large crowd numbering in the tens of thousands is expected to gather at the National Monument (MONAS) located near the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta.
- 8:00 a.m. – Approximately 1,000 participants are expected to participate in a fundraiser for Palestinians at the Al-Mashun Grand Mosque approximately 1/2 mile from the U.S. Consulate in Medan.
Please note that this list is not comprehensive. We are aware of the possibility of additional protests at the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on December 17 and December 19.
The Indonesian government has announced that police will provide security for these events. Authorities expect traffic congestion and possible delays in the vicinity of the demonstrations.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook.
- The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 5, Jakarta, and can be contacted at +62-21-3435-9055/9054, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21-3435-9000 (press 0 for the operator). The American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy email is JakartaACS@state.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jalan Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, and can be contacted at +62-31-297-5300 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-81-133-4183. The American Citizens Services Unit of the Consulate General email is SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).