In view of recent worldwide security incidents, the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security. In the past, extremist groups have planned their attacks or expressed a desire to attack to coincide with significant dates or events. This includes national holidays such as Indonesian Independence Day, major religious holidays such as Idul Adha, and anniversaries of events such as 9/11. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid high-risk areas, be cautious of large crowds, and remain aware of their surroundings at popular tourist and holiday destinations, such as Bali and Lombok, and when visiting shopping malls, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, hotels, and places of worship.
U.S. citizens should remain vigilant at all times while traveling; U.S. citizens overseas may be targeted by extremist groups regardless of the country they are in. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta, at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator.
The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183.
The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.