May 25, 2017
According to Indonesian authorities, at approximately 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 24, a suicide bomb attack targeting police occurred near a bus station in Kampung Melayu in East Jakarta. There were a number of people killed and wounded. No foreign nationals were among the casualties.
All U.S. citizen visitors or residents in Indonesia should review their personal security plans, take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security, and exercise caution in large gatherings. U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Indonesian law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Indonesia.
For further information about security in Indonesia:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta (https://id.usembassy.gov/), located at 5 Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, Jakarta, at +62-21 3435-9055/9054, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+62-21 3435 9000, then press 0 for the operator. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy can also be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya (https://id.usembassy.gov/) is located at Jl. Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, at +62 31-297-5300, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62 81-133-4183. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can also be reached by e-mail at SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).