The recent announcement that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further detailed information regarding Indonesia and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook.
- The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 5, Jakarta, and can be contacted at +62-21-3435-9055/9054, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21-3435-9000 (press 0 for the operator). The American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy email is JakartaACS@state.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jalan Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, and can be contacted at +62-31-297-5300 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-81-133-4183. The American Citizens Services Unit of the Consulate General email is SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).