The U.S. Embassy is aware of planned demonstrations at several U.S. government diplomatic facilities in Indonesia. Due to protest activity, the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya, and the U.S. Consulate in Medan will temporarily limit routine public services on Monday, December 11. In the event of an emergency threatening the life or safety of a U.S. citizen, please call +62-21-3435-9000 and press ‘0’ for the operator.
We are aware of the following possible demonstration times and locations. Please note that this list is not comprehensive.
Monday, December 11, 2017
- Over 1,200 participants are expected to demonstrate in front of the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta starting at around 9:00 a.m.
- A demonstration in front of the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya at 9:00 a.m.
- A demonstration in front of the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya at 1:00 p.m.
- A demonstration in the vicinity of Jalan Dr. Sutomo to Taman Bungkul (near the old U.S. Consulate General compound) in Surabaya at 4:00 p.m.
- A demonstration in front of the U.S. Consulate in Medan at 9:00 a.m.
We urge U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations. Even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Indonesia asks U.S. citizens to contact family members who may be concerned about your welfare or whereabouts. Review personal security plans, ensure communication connectivity, and remain aware of your surroundings. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Indonesia and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitter and Facebook.
- The S. Embassy in Jakarta is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 5, Jakarta, and can be contacted at +62-21-3435-9055/9054, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21-3435-9000 (press 0 for the operator). The American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy email is JakartaACS@state.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is located at Jalan Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya, and can be contacted at +62-31-297-5300 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-81-133-4183. The American Citizens Services Unit of the Consulate General email is SurabayaACS@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).