Emergency Financial Assistance

Destitute Americans outside of the U.S. are generally unable to receive U.S. welfare benefits. Congress appropriates no funds to pay for the living or travel expenses of destitute Americans who are abroad. We refer inquirers to low- or no-cost help from local authorities, and contact U.S. relatives or friends to get funds transferred for subsistence and repatriation.