The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.).
To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information or use contact information below:
Bahasa Indonesia and English-speaking customer service agents are ready to assist you Monday – Friday from 7:00am to 7:00pm. The call center is closed for Indonesian and U.S. holidays.
Required Information: Please have all of the following information on hand before contacting the call center.
- The visa applicant’s first and last name
- The visa applicant’s passport number
- The visa applicant’s date of birth
- The visa applicant’s email address
- The U.S. Embassy/Consulate where the visa applicant will appear for an interview
If you do not have all of the information listed above then the call center will not be able to help you. Please collect the missing information and then call back.
- Telephone: Please contact a customer service representative using one of these telephone numbers.
Indonesia Callers: If you are in Indonesia, please call: +62 21 40101393 and +62 8118103737.
International Callers: Applicants calling from the United States can reach a customer service representative at +1 703 520 2237. Hours of operation in the continental U.S. are 7pm-7am EST / 6pm-6am CST / 5pm-5am MST / 4pm-4am PST.
- Chat (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.): To chat with a customer service representative, please click here. Chat software works with Internet Explorer 8.0, Internet Explorer 7.0, Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2, and Firefox 3.6.
- Click to Call – If you are calling from Indonesia and would like our service to call you, please see here for more information.
- Skype: To use Skype to speak to a customer service representative from 7:00am to 7:00pm., please add a new contact to your Skype account with the Skype name ustraveldocs-indonesia.
- Email: To reach a customer service representative via email, please write to us at: email@example.com
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov.
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions