Abandonment Of Legal Permanent Residence (Green Card)

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status.  Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa for future travel to the U.S.

Any individual with Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status may file a Form I-407 to formally record abandonment of LPR status.  There is no filing fee for this form.  The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of an individual who is 17 years of age or younger may file a Form I-407 on behalf of the minor; signatures from both parents or legal guardians are required.  Review the I-407 instructions document for complete information.

Filing by Mail: I-407 Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status Form and Instructions are linked from the USCIS website.  Appearing at a U.S. Embassy is not required to process this form.  Forms may be submitted via international mail to the USCIS Bangkok Field Office at U.S. Embassy Bangkok at the address below.

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
American Embassy Box 12
120-122 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

If choosing to file by mail, please be sure that the forms are correctly completed and signed as any submissions containing an unsigned Form I-407 will be rejected and returned unprocessed by USCIS.  The current edition of the I-407 form must be used.  Include a self-addressed international post envelope so that a copy of the processed I-407 form may be returned to you for your record.  It is strongly recommended that you make a copy of the I-407 and other submitted documents before mailing them to USCIS.

Filing in Person at the Embassy: If choosing to file the I-407 form in person at the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, you must make an appointment through the Immigrant Visa (IV) Unit at JakIV@state.gov. You should bring your original permanent resident card, current valid passport and one copy of each to the interview.  Do not sign the form until Consular personnel have instructed you to do so.

Whenever you travel to the United States or apply for a U.S. visa, bring a copy of the processed I-407 as you may be requested to present a copy of the form.