After the Interview

If your visa has been approved, you will receive the sealed packet for the fiancé(e) visa and the passport with your visa in it within 7 – 10 days by courier service.  You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa.

The validity of your visa is tied to the validity of your medical examination, which is 6 months from completion of the medical exam.  If a Class A or B TB condition exists, the visa is valid for 3 months from the time the evaluation is completed.

A fiancé(e) visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months.

It is your responsibility to check your visa expiration date and to leave before it expires.

It is important that you do not open the sealed packet.

Only the DHS immigration official should open this packet when you enter the United States.

You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States.

Carefully review the information on the Fiancé(e) Visa Process on to learn what to do when you receive your visa, entering the United States, and other important information.

After being admitted to the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant and marrying the U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days, the alien spouse can then apply for lawful permanent resident status in the United States (get a Green Card).  This process is called “adjustment of status”.  You should also read the Instructions for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (PDF, 551.22 KB) before you apply.