Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues alien registration cards (I-551) to immigrants who are legally admitted for residence in the United States. Alien registration cards (commonly known as “green cards”) can only be issued or replaced in the United States and can never be obtained overseas. A green card is required for re-entry into the United States as a legal permanent resident.
If you left your green card in the U.S., try to arrange for someone to send it to you overseas.
If your green card has been lost, stolen or expired, you may be able to obtain a “boarding foil” valid for one month authorizing a transportation line to carry you to the United States without penalty. To issue a boarding foil we must be satisfied that you hold legal resident status in the United States.
Please follow below step to start applying for a boarding foil before appearing in person at the Consular Section in Jakarta:
- Complete the I-131A form, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation). For additional information on the I-131A form and instruction, please click here.
- Pay a required fee of USD 575.00 through a USCIS online payment system (ELIS). As with all immigration fees USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application. Additional information on the I-131A and instructions can be found on the I-131A Form and Instructions page.
Once the payment has been made, please bring the following to the interview:
- Confirmation page of the I-131A filing fee
- Completed Form I-131 A
- Your airplane tickets (showing your last departure date from the U.S.)
- Evidence of your U.S. legal resident status (e.g. passport showing admission to the United States as an immigrant, copy of Green Card, if available, and your Alien number (A#).
- Copy of a police report if the card is lost / stolen, or detailed explanation as to why you do not have your card
- One passport-style color photograph with white background taken within 30 days. Note: applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in the photos.
Requests boarding foils can only be processed during normal business hours. We cannot process requests on weekends, holidays, or in the evening.
The processing time will depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of information and evidence you provide.
An interview will be scheduled after we have all documents and payment confirmation of the filing fee.
Once the application is approved, the LPR Boarding foil and passport will be ready for collection after three to five business days.