Location: Worldwide Caution
Event: Due to increased tensions in various locations around the world, the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests, the Department of State advises U.S. citizens overseas to exercise increased caution.
U.S. Embassy Jakarta notes that large demonstrations related to events in Israel and Gaza are expected throughout Indonesia for the next several weeks. Any gathering, even those intended to be peaceful, could escalate and turn violent. Protest activity may result in enhanced police presence, road closures, and traffic disruptions.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas around protests and demonstrations.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Become familiar with alternate routes to common destinations and plan to avoid traffic disruptions
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive information and alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency overseas.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter and visit travel.state.gov.